AN INTRO


ENBE - THE JOURNAL

Nature -  infographics

TJ. As in, The Journal. As introduced to us by our lecturer, this journal was a consistent, side project that runs throughout the sem. We would be given a new topic or theme for each series, and there are 4 series in total. Even though we felt overwhelmed with all our other main assignments for ENBE, this journal took hold of our interest as well, because we could reflect our individual personalities and ideas through it. As a whole, all series were under the same theme: Nature. Whether in the environmental sense, or human nature.

Our first TJ tittle - Natural Phenomena. Here is a copy of the brief in slide form, created for us for better understanding.

 I started much earlier for this journal than the others, mostly because I had more free time in the starting of the sem. After considering a few, I settled for the Red Tide, a seasonal phenomena that causes poisonous algal bloom in the oceans, becoming deadly. There was much news about this topic that decreased the shellfish trade drastically a few years ago. 

A rusty red stains the coast
After compiling sufficient content, I started making the pages of the journal. I tried to relate my layout and design to my topic by colouring the pages red, and used Artline black ink as my main medium as I felt I was best in it. I liked writing and drawing in felt tip, and as you can see, it channels my inner messy queen :) I realised through this journal, that I pack my pages with information here and there, but never boringly. I avoided paragraphs and stuck to mind maps and photos instead. Here are the pages of my first ever TJ!


All pgs from suehwa533

I learned that journals are important to architecture students, or any design student for that matter, as they do bring out your thoughts and its a great feeling to see them unfold before your eyes into something worth sharing with others. My favourite pen is definitely Artline now :)

*********************************************************************************

Our next TJ. Titled Nature Conservation, it definitely sparked off some interest in me from the start. I find organisations and people that fight for the respect of nature very noble, and I admire how true they are to themselves and everything else. The brief attached below.



So this journal gave was a small chance to become part of that movement. Elephants became my inspiration. In the newspapers lately, ivory poaching has taken a much too serious toll on the elephant population. Saddening and maddening cruelty was such a waste that elephants had to take the blow.

Poaching in Nairobi, Kenya
In this series, I decided to go for a soft but lightening design and colour set, using butter yellow as a main one as they remind me as elephants. I also tried out rope and used recycled paper for the first time to give it that utilitarian and natural feel. Artline again, of course, made up of most of my drawings and writings. I made sure to include many photos as well to serve as visual explanation. Here are the pages. 


I enjoyed doing this journal more compared to the previous one. I think its because I now have more experience on tasks that needs to be done to create a complete journal :)

*********************************************************************************

The next TJ was different compared to the first two in terms of its tittle. The first two were more general on actual issues happening in the world whereas this one was named '5 Senses in Kuala Lumpur - The Journal'. It had slightly more page requirements and a heavier mark weightage. Below is the brief (yes, an unbelievably artistic poster).



Definitely an exciting and unique topic, arrangements were immediately made to make site visits and trips to the bustling KL. Most of my course mates visited Bukit Bintang and KLCC, the main attractions in the city, but I took a different course with selecting KL downtown instead. The area consisted of Petaling Street, Central Market and Little India: the historical and initial point of Kuala Lumpur. With the company of the boyfriend and parents, we trooped around the area, snapping photos and enjoying the experience.

Authentic Little India food
The Great Twins of KL
Festive back alley

While eating beef noodles in Petaling Street
Due to time constraints, I think I spent the least time on this one even though it had the most requirements to fulfil, which wasn't a good thing. Even so, I did my best with including lots of photos that I took during my visit, to make it more interactive and personal, and documenting my thoughts as well. Below are the pages.


TJ3 from suehwa533

The process of making this journal was quite exciting :) to be able to experience something in real life in order to properly capture its essence and meaning for it to be elaborated with ink and brown paper.

*********************************************************************************

The last TJ: The Compilation. Instead of a handmade series, this one required us to compile all our previous TJs plus the reports and sentiments of the two previous big projects. Not to mention a book cover to give the whole file its own identity, besides tabs and separator pages, including envelopes to contain the scrapbook journal and future city report. Also, short elaboration for each project is required. Below is the brief of the compilation.


The journal compilation from suehwa533

I had a good time compiling all my works, it was somewhat sentimental looking back at old works and creating an identity for it. Here are the some photos of my compilation.


Tj4 from suehwa533

Taylor's Graduate Capabilities were of direct importance.

Lifelong learning was a good concept to hold on to

Discipline-specific knowledge to be able to share opinions on issues

Thinking and problem-solving skills were needed for journal creativity


0 comments:

Post a Comment