AN INTRO


CL - P.1 > Experiential Landscape

The High Line - spring.

Constructed Landscape. The subject name had already caught my attention from the very beginning.

I had never before really enquired myself about the landscape around us, urban or rural or natural. But from the first introductory lecture, my mind had already fell into it. I liked this module, its contents and meaning, thus its first assignment was a favourite and a awesome experience. 

Individually done, this was one of the very first projects given in the fresh sem days. I recall everyone was eager and excited as individual work really allowed us to prove our own capability. Seemed interesting and simple enough: each student was required to choose one type of landscape from the following list, such as parks, waterfronts, etc. Next, a comparative case study between the landscape of our country and a foreign one was to be done and presented on two A3 presentation boards. Also, a series of reflective short videos to be posted on Instagram. Below is the project brief.


Brief constructed landscape project 1 from suehwa533

I chose the topic passive landscape as I had never heard of the term before and was interested to find out. On-line research for the foreign part, and actual site visits for the local one inspired and fuelled me with more and more content and ideas for a better, more effective board layout. During each tutorial, I would show my progress to Mr Fariz (my tutor for this project) for him to comment and correct. In the span of two days, I crafted the whole board, with the information I had collected in the span of two to three weeks.

I decided on a visually-flowing layout, with short and easy-to-digest facts and information. Paired with a toned palette of eco brown, orange and grey, to increase the hue and brightness of the board. After researching, I decided on the High Line, a linear park, in NYC and the PJ Trade Centre in Malaysia. I felt like the two had good comparison and content points.

The High Line: a park built on elevated freight tracks. Interesting concept

PJ Trade Centre: office blocks with mini pocket parks and softscape incorporated into the building's system


The first presentation board consisting of introduction, concept and basic timeline of each passive landscape

The second board contains the developer and maintenance plus the concept and characteristic of both locations, with small images accompanying every fact 


Passive Landscape: Energy-efficient landscapes

Here are my short videos, created using Flipagram: named Introduction, Key Points and Reflection respectively.




 Crafting the videos required lots of pondering but was something I enjoyed :)

During presentation day, I was proud to say that my boards got a good grade, and that I had to do a short impromptu presentation to justify my work. I had thoroughly enjoyed the hard work and memories that come out from this first CL assignment!


0 comments:

Post a Comment