AN INTRO


C&C - FINAL P. > WEB BOOK AND EXHIBITION

My concept.
Among all the assignments, this one was one I looked forward to immensely. Taking photographs had never been my forte, but I do love them. Especially those that carry that essence of a message.

So, a web book. Something we were new to, but you could tell everyone was already enthusiastic. Many had photography as a side hobby, and many were already skilled at it. In that way, I had less of an advantage, but I pursued with a bold heart and mind. And it being an individual assignment meant that it would be solely mine, which is something I always tried for. The brief -



So we all separated on our individual journey: to select the right theme we were most passionate about. After sifting through a list of initial options I had, like wet markets and shopping mall culture, I decided on night life. What sparked that thought was the concept of cafe culture that is now rampantly becoming a culture itself - the interaction between people at these places were a culture. But what about night time? The time when everyone had the thought of work in their minds stalled to the next day. When everyone comes out to play. What I think about my photos - they could be better, in terms of composition and settings. But I'm in the process of grasping it!

With the company of my dad and friends on a few occasions, we explored a few bars in Taman Tun Dr Ismail, my residential area. Though most of my photos were taken in Jaya One, a night hub located in K.L, besides a few random night cafes. My main venues were night restaurants, bars and cafes, focused on people. Their activities, interaction, emotion, and the general atmosphere. Have a quick look, my web book below titles After Hours - Neighbourhood Nightculture, using Bookwright and Blurb, programmes recommended my my tutor, Ms Ida.



From this assignment, I realised how essential photography skills were. Not just to convey a message but good photos can literally transport one to another place at another time. It was intriguing seeing other's works and themes: urban lifestyle, forgotten services, immigrants in Malaysia. My admiration for their web books deepened my interest in photography and I'd love to pick it up during sem break. The book composition was even more important, as I probably made mine more like an abstract art book more than a photo display. Not as satisfying an assignment as I thought it would be, but thtat's because I knew I could do better.Nevertheless, I learnt from it.

Lastly, an exhibition summed up the whole assignment and subject for the sem! We were instructed by our tutors to create 2 cardboard boxes to be exhibited during our Intro to Design final presentation, to mark the end of our year. One was a blank one to create mass, and the other had to have our 5 best photos, black and white self-portrait and write-up printed on all surfaces. As everyone produced it generically, the effect was phenomenal.



A truly amazing end to this six-month long subject. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment