AN INTRO


DESIGN - P.2B/FINAL > TOY DISPLAY

My character - The Joker

The last ever design project definitely ended with a bang. Our first individual exhibition was not to be taken lightly.

We were required to create a representation in the form of a 3D toy display case for our mini Lego figure. From the start of Sem, we had already selected our toy for our DPJ (Design Process Journal) to work on, for in-depth understanding over time. A combined, integrated project with our journals, all under the design module. Besides the display case, 3 A2 presentation boards with orthographic drawings were a must.

The Joker was my toy. A significant, vibrant and well-known character in the toy realm. Understanding him was a challenge: I was never interested in any sort of DC or Marvel comics (and probably never will be). But of course, I tried. Developing a concept was the first key - a perfect one that embodies Joker as a whole and in every sense. With guidance from my tutor, Mr Fariz and some research, it was decided that optical illusions was the way to go to represent Joker philosophically. In his own subjective way of framing perspective, I found that the spine of Joker's personality. Examples of my model components: 

The impossible triangle - represents Joker's distorted and nonsensical point of view

Scattered optical illusion - seen only from one specific angle


I have to say. This project was the most challenging, frustrating yet intriguing one I have ever worked on. With it being completely up to me to determine the direction of it, so many options often dazzle and distract me from my original plan. Experimenting with impossible, scattered objects was no joke. Time-consuming, extremely precise, I made the mistake of undermining that fact by concentrating too much on the model design. I spent hours of energy, burning myself out to make the all-or-none, perfect model. Below are photos of all the mock-ups I played with in order to find the perfect shape and form:

There were many panicky moments, closing up to the submission, that I was close to losing faith. But I had come so far, exploring this exotic, chaotic model that I was not going to lose out. So, I mustered all courage and buried my doubts. Although I was not satisfied and I realised too late that boards were equally important, I did it! My display case - 'Inside Joker's Head'.

The first half

Complete - Joker walking on 2 impossible triangles 

Top view

Exhibition day

3 A2 presentation boards consisted of idea, concept and keyword development explanation. My first time experimenting with tracing paper and watercolour as well! I enjoyed doing measured drawings. Although I could have done better with more research and emphasis on drawing techniques, like line weight and details, I think I stepped up my standards in terms of layout and types of information presented. Below is a closer look:

I learned so much in this project. Proud of myself for exploring the eccentric path of weird objects to communicate my concept of Joker, I should plan my time for different components of the project in the future. Had a good time, and its one hell of a story to tell!




0 comments:

Post a Comment