AN INTRO


ENG 2 - P.1 > ESSAY

The lovely movie poster.
English 2 started off with a generic sort of first assignment - an essay. Not just any sort though, a compare and contrast one with a rather interesting theme - movies. Being a movie enthusiast (or ex- anyway, when I had more free time), I was pretty enthusiastic to start expressing opinions. Below is the short brief:


The first thing to do was to select two movies from the same genre to write about. I made sure I only filtered the movie options that I liked, because only then I could only write with the most passion. Almost instantly, I decided firmly that the 'dramedy' genre was the best for me. Enjoyable and light, these were the best films to laugh and unwind to at any time, which is the quality of it that I loved most.

At that time, I had recently watched this film called 'The Grand Budapest Hotel', which struck me straight away as one of those magical, unforgettable ones.A fantasy fiction about a lobby boy's adventures with his concierge, filled with emotions and literature. So I already had half a mind to use that movie, as it definitely possessed both elements of drama and comedy.

'The Grand Budapest Hotel' is romantic to its very core.

After looking through my mom's avid collection of Blue Rays, I came across an old family favourite from a few years back: The Proposal. Being extremely popular then, I could still remember the main storyline and essence of it. Although it was filmed in a modern setting, and has vast differences compared with the tale of 'The Grand Budapest Hotel', the aura of 'dramedy' was apparent. The storyline goes about a secretary falling in love with his seemingly nasty boss after a weekend together.

One of the many funny excerpts from the movie.

So to refresh my memory, I hunted trailers and scenes from YouTube, settled with a nice hot drink and began my essay. To view, please scroll below.


These two movies served several points of comparison and contrast for me to elaborate on in my essay, in terms of emotions evoked, characters, plot, and so on.

 It was enjoyable writing about my interests.





0 comments:

Post a Comment